Sweet and spicy tastes, how you make life so much better. Sweet things like chocolate, sugar and fruit all delight my taste buds (and give me a sugar high!), while spicy food is exciting, exhilarating and it has tonnes of health benefits, from lower blood pressure to increased serotonin to keep you in a better mood.
Add these together and I’m just a really happy person all the time! Is it any wonder I love chilli chocolate so much!
So, here is my attempt at a sweet/spicy fusion – sweetcorn soup. This is a sweet, creamy soup with a bit of a Mexican kick to it. It is at it’s best sprinkled with some cheese and tortilla chips.
SPICY SWEETCORN SOUP
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried coriander leaf
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tin sweetcorn (326g can)
- 1/2 chicken stock cube (or vegetable stock cube if you’re vegetarian)
- 2 cups boiled water
- 1/2 cup milk/ cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat about a tsp of oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Chop the onion and add it to the pan. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the onion begins to brown and becomes translucent.
- Add the herbs and spices and fry for an additional 30 seconds, stirring continuously so that they do not burn.
- Take the pan off the heat. Add the 1/2 stock cube to the 2 cups of just boiled water and add to the saucepan with the onion mix.
- Place the saucepan back on the heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the sweetcorn (drain first) and milk and bring back to the boil.
- Blend using a handblender or in batches in a blender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you prefer a thinner soup add more water or milk.
- Add more chilli powder or maybe some chopped fresh chillies if you can handle the spice
- Top with smashed up tortilla chips and cheese
- Top with some chopped fresh coriander