So I have been hiding out from the rain in Dublin. Nathan started work in Dublin on Monday so our friends Phil and Andrea have been kindly putting us up. Phil, who is a pastry chef, has in turn, been forcing pain aux raisins, almond croissants and pain au chocolat on me daily (and when I say ‘forcing on me’, I mean he has been bringing them home and I have attacked the box and greeted them like they belong snuggled up inside my stomach). Anyway, to add to the fat fest, I made this porridge yesterday. I love porridge on wet, grey mornings. It makes me warm inside. The coconut milk adds a hint of tropical, reminding me that it’s summer, even though the weather doesn’t agree!
Coconut and Raspberry Porridge (serves 3-4)
- 2 cups porridge oats
- 1 tin coconut milk (400ml)
- 1 cups milk (I used 2% fat)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp (heaped) cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Toasted coconut and raspberries to top
- Add oats, coconut milk, milk and water to a medium sized saucepan.
- Place saucepan on a low to medium heat and bring to a boil. Simmer for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add additional water/ milk if you would like a thinner consistency.
- Once cooked to desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in cinnamon, salt, honey and coconut oil. This porridge isn’t too sweetened so you can adjust the quantity of honey to taste.
- Top with toasted coconut and raspberries. The raspberries are essential. They bring prettiness to the dish…prettiness is essential.