Soooo, how have you been? (and by you, I mean the two people who will read this!) I’m sorry I haven’t been around in a while…can we still be friends? I have a really good excuse, or series of reasons, for why I haven’t blogged in a while.
- Reason number 1: We moved to our new apartment and had no internet for a very long time.
- Reason number 2: I got a job!
So here’s an update on our married life.
1. Married life is still splendid and Nathan has yet to sleep on the couch even once! Here’s a picture of us in our new apartment the night of my postgraduate graduation.
2.Youth group is going amazingly well. We are so privileged and blessed to serve these kids, hang out with them and share the foundations of our belief and faith in Jesus with them. Above is a poster they made. I think my favourite is the God is…’alright’ statement that someone wrote and then changed their mind about!
3. Thank God I finally have a job! I am working in a secondary school in Galway city as a learning support, Spanish and SPHE teacher and I am really enjoying it! It’s only temporary but so far it’s been great! One of my students even made me a little basket of sweets.
4. Finally, I have become obsessed with making food healthier. I’m adding yogurt and vegetables instead of butter and oil, molasses instead of sugar and wholewheat flour instead of regular flour! That doesn’t mean that I don’t still regularly enjoy things like this, but I can also enjoy treats that only have 110 calories and still copious amounts of sugar to keep me buzzing like these courgette muffins!
Courgette muffins (make about 30 small muffins)
- 1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup low fat or fat free yogurt
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp molasses (optional)
- 2 cups grated courgettes
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients together and in a medium bowl mix the wet ingredients and sugars.
- With as little stirring as possible (the more stirring, the tougher the muffins get), mix together the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add the courgette, sultanas and coconut to the mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Spoon into cupcake cases or whatever you have and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tray for 5-10 mins. Remove from tray and leave to cool for an additional 10-15 mins.
- Enjoy knowing that you won’t have to spend an hour at the gym working the mouthfuls of joy off!