At the moment, I’m helping out at a sports camp at our church. The camp is on in the primary school beside my house which makes it very easy for me to nip home for a speedy lunch. I’m heading to another camp next week, so I’m trying to use up all of the vegetables that I know Nathan (my husband) won’t use next week. It’s also really sunny today so I wanted something light but filling enough to keep me going for the afternoon camp.
I settled on these avocado sliders. The grilled courgettes supply a warm base for the cool guacamole and the contrast between the crunch from the courgettes and melt-in-your-mouth smoothness of the guacamole create a winning combination. Here’s the recipe.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 courgette
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tomato
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 2 slices red onion
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt to taste
- sprinkle of grated cheese
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 tsps sour cream (optional)
- Slice the courgette lengthways and grill two slices on a medium high heat for about 2 minutes. Each side should be fully cooked through but still crunchy. Alternatively, you can use a griddle pan to get those great lines on your courgette.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado with a fork. You don’t want the guacamole to be completely smooth. It’s nice when it’s a bit chunky.
- Deseed and finely chop the tomato and add it to the avocado.
- Finely chop the red onion and add it also.
- Season with a squeeze of lemon juice, the garlic and some salt.
- Pile the guacamole on top of the sliced courgette. Sprinkle the cheese on top and the paprika.
- Take a picture to post on your blog…oh wait, that’s just me!
- Add some sour cream and salsa on top.
- Sprinkle some sweetcorn on top.